It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
In India it does seem to be that it is a universally acknowledged truth that any woman past 20 must be in need of a husband.
I have had one ammachi come to hospi, insist that she see me, wake me up from my afternoon siesta and then cool as cucumber tell me, “No, nothing is wrong with me, I just heard that the hospital got a new doctor so I just came to see what u were like” Not taking any notice of the jaw hitting the floor and bug eyes she then proceeded to ask me where I was from and what my parents did and how many siblings I had.
Then there was the other ammachi who held one of my hands and reached out and picked up my little gold necklace (she actually put her hand out, pushed my chunni aside and dragged it out. Please!! Hands off!!!) and inspected it for a thali. Then very affectionately told me, don’t worry u look like u are 18. Huh??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment